Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Do you give an answer less credibility if they use bad grammar?

Such as using There instead of Their, Your instead of You're or just spelling things wrong.|||Sometimes. I know people get very excited when they post answers, so to a certain extent I will take that into consideration, but when it's real illiteracy, no.|||Speaking of credibility, dear, there is a difference between grammar and spelling. You can have good grammar and not spell very well or spell very well and have lousy grammar.


That said, your examples are all about spelling. For some, English may not be their native language and English is a serious bytche when it comes to spelling.


I try to read a question for content, I've seen some really good questions/answers that were hard to read because of the spelling/grammar errors but they conveyed some really good thoughts. So you do have to overlook things sometimes, although I admit I have a bias towards proper language usage.


Blessings on your Journey!|||I can say with all honesty that no I try and answer every single question with dignity towards the questioner.





There are many reasons why bad grammar occurs. Yes it can be through laziness, but what if the person is stressed or upset? Also the English language is not so easy to understand and it is very easy to make mistakes.





As strange as it may seem, but with modern technology these days, there are those who probably illiterate due to bad education, but can handle a computer with their eyes closed!





I admit that when I read the errors, I think: why did you not use the spell check? But that is as far as it goes, because we all make errors - just some of ours tend to proof read before pressing the send button.





I made three errors just on this!|||Not really. Many people here are not native speakers to English, hence the incorrect grammar. These are usually easy to spot. Many people suffer from dyslexia, as well. My brother, for instance, has severe dyslexia. Having proof-read many of his essays, his spelling is atrocious! He doesn't have much trouble with grammar, though. They honestly can't help it - so I don't judge. What matters is whether the idea is being communicated efficiently or not.



If the answer is literally unintelligible and makes no sense whatsoever, I definitely give it less credibility. If it's in "texting" language, the poster does lose credibility. If people don't know what a period is, that gets annoying.|||Someone who is clearly illiterate is almost certain to be uneducated and uninformed also.





Bad spelling is not a strong indicator of illiteracy (even people with dyslexia spell atrociously, though they are hardly disadvantaged at all). Bad grammar, and especially wrong word choices, are nearly always indicative of serious problems.|||It bores me to death if people give me spelling lessons, often people fail to realise that spelling in English, which I use, is different than American spelling. I don't correct anybody, I just have a crack at the questions.



You can't gain intellectual superiority by ignoring a question and picking holes in spelling.



If you try to, it just shows you can't answer the question but you got annoyed by it.|||No. I know plenty of intelligent, rational people who are awful at spelling. To judge a person's rationality, intelligence, and the relevance of their answer on something as trivial as bad grammar is pretty presumptive and arrogant.|||Nope... I give a question less credibility if its ignorant and bigoted (usually trolls)...





Not everyone who posts here is fluent in english, and many have reasonable questions|||Yes, but it's admittedly a bad habit of mine. It's only a correlation: bad grammar and credibility.|||Kinda, but somethin jus feels write about' bein so dam rong. =)|||Not necessarily, since not everyone is a native speaker of English. That said, it doesn't help if the question/statement is already ignorant.|||I'm willing to let grammar slide,but with a built in spell checker,there is no excuse for misspelling,English speaker or no.|||The problem I see is that your view is their grammer is wrong, but that does not make it wrong if it is their dialect of writing.|||The less effort someone puts into communicating an idea, the less their idea is worth to me.|||Dear asker, I wish for the day this "issue" would be the


only thing that's wrong.





Peace|||not if the substance is credible, i rarely check my spelling/grammar unless i am pointing out someone elses lack of grammar|||no i look only at content.



In my experience the wisest people are actually the least formally educated.|||Your being to harsh. Their trying they're best, but its people like you who isn't gave them a second chance.|||no. i type pretty fast so i don't always use correct grammar although i know what is correct.|||how cud u posubleh tink n e diffrently abote my typpenng when is liek this?





I assume a 4 year old is licking the keyboard when I see that|||i Never seen anythning rong with anything$?|||I just don't read it. Too much headache to interpret it.|||Yes. How often do you see a great answer with poor grammar and spelling?|||i just learned the difference between There and Their :)|||yes i due.

No comments:

Post a Comment